Saturday, December 29, 2007

I Jinxed Myself

I should have known better then to send out a Christmas letter 2 weeks before the end of the year declaring that the FINAL score for the year on ER visits was Dani 1-Chris 1. Even as Bryan and I were reading it before we printed them we joked that since I put that in there it would not be the final score.

Here we are December 29th , just three days short of 2008, and we just returned from the ER. Dani was able to squeak one more visit in before the end of the year. I promise people, I am nice to my children. This is genetic. We were so close to bedtime when I heard a thunk from the playroom followed by an ear piercing scream. You know the scream where instantly you know it is bad without even knowing what happened, love that scream. There was Dani laying on the ground between the Lego table and the train table, as I got close I noticed the blood flowing out of her mouth. This one was bad.

My attempts to stop the bleeding were failing, I needed some help but unfortunately Bryan was at work. Chris came in very handy though, he was able to call Daddy and get him on the phone. I learned quickly that talking on the phone with a screaming child is a challenge, so I went to plan B. Chris ran across the street to Julie's house to get her. With Julie's help I was able to look at her mouth and see the huge gash inside her lip by her nose. Off we went to the ER again. Chris went over to Julie's and stayed there while we took Dani in.

Fast forward a few hours.....Bryan left work and headed out to meet us, driving the speed limit of course. Dani's final diagnosis was Nasal Trauma and a torn Frenulum (that piece of skin between your upper lip and gums). I guess they don't like stitching the mouth up since it is so likely to get infected. Dani gets to drink the yummy pink goodness called Amoxicillin for the next few days. Poor little thing looks like a prize fighter. The doctor said that she will probably have a lot of swelling and will look bad in the morning. Her lip was huge tonight and her nose was all red, there is a possibility she broke it but there is so much cartilage there really isn't much they can do. Kids heal fast luckily.

So that was my night. With 2 days left now in 2007 the ER score stands at Dani 2-Chris 1. I don't DARE say this is final.

She was not a happy camper.

post signature

8 comments:

Kristina said...

UGH!! Poor Dani! Poor you! Praying for no more ER visits, at least between now and 2008!

Unknown said...

wow...your kids sure are accident prone. With Meghan's own penchant for getting hurt, I am scared for our kids when we start having them!!!

Anonymous said...

you have got to be kidding me...I am so sorry, I know the stress that something like that can cause. I hope now that Dani is okay can laugh a little at your family's magnetic draw to emergency situations...love you!

. said...

I think we learned to laugh at this sort of thing a while ago. Dani is a trooper and back to her adventurous self today. This girl is just like her mommy!

Anonymous said...

oh my. poor kiddo and poor mommy! yay for superstar chris. hope he gets a gold star!
love your new webpage design too. you are so sassy!
happy 2008.
tristen

Kim said...

I have run across your blog through my friend Jennisa's, hope you don't mind. Love what she did with your page!
YOur poor lil punkin, I hope she feels better real soon, when my son fell off our bed one night, same thing, blood gushing out of his mouth and when a screaming toddler is hurt, you can not get in that mouth to see what is wrong.

Jennisa said...

Hey! Just checking in to see how your bloggie looks! Hope you lovin' it!!!

The Barkers said...

OHH poor Dani and poor mom. As bryan would say Just like her mom.
I hope all is better we know she is a trooper because her brother is chris and she is a tough cookie!!!