Sunday, September 21, 2008

The art of a phone call

I think he is learning.
This morning was proof.

I have to give Bryan credit, I think he is getting better and late night/early morning phone calls from the hospital. I think this is something that all law enforcement need to master for the sake of their loved ones sanity.

I will take you back to January when I received the first call. It was about 11 at night and I was already in bed when he called. The first words out of his mouth were, " Hey babe, I am at the hospital but I am okay"

Lesson 1: Never start a conversation with "I am at the hospital"

The next part of that opening sentence was not any better. Okay is way to subjective of the word. So the conversation proceeded with me asking a series of questions to find out what exactly okay meant. Okay I am alive, okay I can still walk, okay nothing major. Get my point. After a few minutes I realized that he was taken there more on a precautionary measure after some lady side swiped him and sent is patrol car into a house. He was pretty sore but yes he was okay!

Lesson 2: If you say your okay....please clarify

Fast forward to this morning. My phone rang a little after 5am, at this point in the morning I really had no clue what was going on. I answered and Bryan said hello. He then told me that he was going to be late coming home (he learned from Lesson 1). Of course I asked him why he was going to be late. That is then when he let me know that he was at the hospital. At this point of course I had to ask, WHY? "Well I got in a fight and I need to get my hand stitched up" See he improved.

This conversation that much better. He did not freak me out in the opening and then he immediately told me the reason for his little jaunt to the hospital. This is necessary since it only takes your brain a split second to think of the 800 things that okay could mean. So I applaud Bryan for his lessons learned in the art of a phone call.

For those wondering Bryan is okay, but the hand did not fair so well. He had to get 5 stitches on his hand and has a splint on his finger. He will most likely be out for a week or two (nice since this was his first week back at work after 6 weeks off) since he needs full mobikity of his hand. This was on his right hand better known as his shooting hand. Kind of necessary in his job.

We are glad he is okay and impressed in the improvment in phone call skills.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

But see to a guy he already communicated all of that with one sentence...no need for the rest of it! haha He got the who, what, when, and where...just missed the how part I guess!

Anonymous said...

glad he is okay! sounds a bit scary.
how do you get those cool web pages ali? i want one!

Carly said...

wow, i am glad jon's job does not involve phone calls like this... although it sounds like you are training bryan well :)