Tuesday, February 3, 2009

ER Trip #1 for 2009

And the winner is......Dani-girl!

I knew that having another year with no ER visits for our family was going to be a stretch....but still I had hope.

We were having a nice day yesterday. Bryan was at training with Rex, Dani and I had a nice morning while Chris was at school and the sun was out. After we got Chris from school we ate lunch and walked down the street to Julie's house to let the kids ride scooters and head to the park. We got about two houses down the street and I noticed two yippy poodles run out of there house and head right for the kids. Chris kept going to Julie's but Dani stopped and started to scream. I had noticed that one of the dogs had jumped up on her but knew that she was not afraid of dogs. I ran to her and she was hysterical. The lady insisted the dog scared her. I looked at her and said, "This girl has two large dogs at home, a little poodle does not phase her"

I pulled down Dani pants and saw that indeed the dog had bit sweet Dani, no wonder she was pissed. At this point I was thankful that it was me handling the situation and not Bryan. # 1 because the dog would probably be dead and #2 because Bryan would probably be in trouble for shooting the dog :) Don't mess with his baby girl!

I spoke with the owners for a bit and they were mortified and did not know what to think. I said I had to go catch up with my other kid, now halfway down the street at our friend's house. I knew where they lived and figured I would call Bryan since he is the resident expert on dog bites. When I called him from Julie's my guess of his reaction towards the events was quite accurate. He was less then thrilled. He advised me that the best place to take her was the ER because they have the special tools to flush out dog bites, plus he wanted a report filed.

So I left Chris with our friend and headed to the ER with Dani. She was in good spirits and was excited to get some cool stickers and the "Big Dr's", that is what my kids call the ER. Meanwhile Bryan left training to meet us there.

With all our trips to the ER it is nice when you get there that all you have to do is give the name and birth date and they pull everything right up. I think it took 30 seconds to register and get all the papers to sign.


Another perk is we make our kids do all their own paperwork now. Very convenient for me!

The waiting is always the hard part. Now I want you to take note of the outfit she is rockin' here. It was Monday so I let her choose her outfit since we never really go anywhere. The choice here was a striped shirt, her fleece apple PJ bottoms, the beloved Hello Kitty socks and her pink and black pirate vans. As you can see she is covered in stickers from the triage nurse and has animal crackers from the vending machine.

Bryan always comes in handy when we are at the ER for entertainment purposes. Nothing makes the kids happier then when he blows up a rubber glove and turns it into a chicken.

Then he even does a little puppet show behind the curtain. It is entertaining to all of us.

Dani was finally seen by the Dr. and it was time for the bite to be flushed out. I was happy Bryan was there because this is not a fun process, and he knew that. They squirted the medication into the bite and then sucked it out. Dani made it very clear to the whole hospital that she was not happy. But once she was cleaned up and bandaged mommy got to hold her and her little world was right again. She will be on antibiotics for the next week and we need to watch the wound.

We did get pictures of the bite but I am not sure if Bryan wants me posting it so I will wait. We did file an Animal Bite report at the hospital. They will follow up with the owners to confirm that the dog is all up to date with shots and vaccinations and then report back to us. I just hope for their sake that the poodles never cross paths with Rex, it would not end well.

So here we are in February;
Er Count '09 Dani 1- Chris 0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Dani!! I'm glad it wasn't worse though and she is okay!!! I would be right there with Bryan too...hopefully I never come across that little yipper!!!
*Kristina

Anonymous said...

You are such a good blogger, you crack me up! Poor little Dani, but of course she was back to herself in no time!

Unknown said...

oh man...your family and the ER. Just think of how many doctor's homes you contributed to?!?! Glad everyone is alright and I agree about it being good that it was you there and not Bryan! Yikes...I pity the first boy who asks her out one day!